Clock Numbers and Clock Patterns
- A clock is a device that gives the measurement of time with the help of moving hands.
- There are 12 sections in the clock. Each number represents an hour.
- The three hands on the clock, are said hour hand, minute hour, and second hand.
Parts of clock:
- Minute hand: It is the long hand and it represents the minutes.
- Hour hand: It is the short hand and it represents to the hour.
- Second hands: It is the long thin hands which moves continuously and it represents the second.
The tiny lines between any two number denotes a minute. There are 5 minutes between any two numbers of the clock.
Unit of time:
The unit we use to measure time is
Relation between the units of time:
1 hour = 60 minutes
1 minute = 60 seconds
1 day = 24 hours.
Read Time in Clock
The hands in the clock points to the hour and the minutes. The clock shows the multiplication table of 5 on it. The hour and the minute hand together tell us the time.
The shorter hand points to the number 10.
The longer hand points to the number 2. Therefore, the minutes is 5 × 2 = 10
The time in the clock is 10 hour 10 minutes.
It is written as 10:10.
Terms in Clock
- Quarter to: This means 15 minutes is left to complete the hour. For example, 04:45 means 15 minutes is left to 5.
- Quarter past: This means that 15 minutes has passed after completing the hour. For example, 06:15 means 15 minutes has passed after 6.
- Half past: This means that 30 minutes has passed after completing the hour. For example, 03:30 means 30 minutes has passed after 3.