Fraction for Class 4
Fraction is the representation of part of a whole. In fraction for class 4, students will learn to read and write the fraction.
In this learning concept, the students will also learn to:
- Classify the introduction to fractions.
- Explain fun facts, mind maps, etc.
- Identify the parts of a fraction.
Each concept is explained to class 4 math students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. Students can assess their learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the page’s end.
Download the fraction class 4 worksheet and check the solutions to the halves and quarter questions for class 4 provided in PDF format.
Introduction to Fractions:
A fraction is a quantity that express a part of the whole.
Examples: A quarter is a fraction of the whole
Parts of a Fraction:
We represent a fraction by two numbers written above and below a horizontal line.
The number written above the horizontal line is called the numerator and the number below the horizontal line is called the denominator .
The horizontal line is called the fraction line or vinculum.
The numerator represents the number of parts selected/we have.
The denominator represents the total number of parts the whole is divided into.
Numerators are read using regular numbers, and denominators are read using ordinal numbers (third, fourth, fifth, etc.).
Halves and Quarters as Fractions for Class 4:
Half is represented by 1/2, quarter by 1/4, and three quarters by 3/4.
Fraction of a Collection
In a group of persons/things, we can represent a person/something as a fraction of the whole group.
The denominator of the fraction represents the total number of persons/ things in a group/collection.
The numerator represents the number of the things/persons selected from the collection/group
Question: There are 2 boys and 3 girls in a class.
- Write the number of boys as a fraction of the total number of students in the class.
- Write the number of girls as a fraction of the total number of students in the class.
Answer: There are 5 students in the class.
- Since there are 2 boys out of 5 students, write 2 as the numerator and 5 as the denominator to represent the number of boys as a fraction of the total number of students in the class. That is 2/5.
- Since there are 3 girls out of 5 students, write 3 as the numerator and 5 as the denominator to represent the number of girls as a fraction of the total number of students in the class. That is 3/5
Fraction: The word fraction is derived from the Latin word ‘fractio’ which means ‘to break’.
Vinculum: The word ‘vinculum’ is a Latin word, which means a bond or a chain.
Vinculum is also the name of a band of connective issue found in our fingers.
Did you know?