Time for Kids
By the time we can measure the duration of any event. Here Time for Kids helps to learn about the clock and reading time. Also, they learn to write time.
In this learning concept, the students will also learn to:
- Classify the 12-hour clock and 24-hour clock.
- Define the introduction of time.
- Identify the 24 hours clock time.
Each concept is explained to class 4 maths students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. Students can assess their learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the page’s end.
Download the time worksheet for class 4 and check the solutions to the time questions for class 4 provided in PDF format.
Introduction of Time:
- Time is defined as an ongoing event that will occur from the past through the present into the future.
- Having the proper knowledge of time is very essential.
- We measure time using clock.
It is observed that in a clock there are 12 division and each number represents an hour.
There are 24 hours in a day. Therefore, the hands in the clock take two complete rounds in a day.
The two ways of representing time are:
- 12-hour clock
- 24-hour clock
In 12-hour clock, the day is divided into two 12-hours period:
- From Midnight to noon, we use AM to denote time. (The AM hours)
- From Noon to midnight, we use PM to denote time. (The PM hours)
Thus, in 12-hour clock the time is written using AM and PM.
- The time “11:00 PM” means 11 ‘o’ clock in the night or 1 hour before midnight.
- The time “10:00 AM” means 10 ‘o’ clock in the morning or 2 hours before noon.
In 24-hour clock, the day is divided as 24-hours period.
- The days runs from midnight to midnight.
- The time of a whole day in the 24-hour clock is written as 00.00 to 23: 59(midnight is 00:00).
- From midnight to noon the time will be written in 24-hour clock as 00.00 to 12.00.
- From noon to midnight the time will be written in the 24-hour clock as 12:00 to 23:59.
- In airport, railway station, digital clocks, 24-hour clock is used to show time.
Let us discuss it with an example.
- Rima observed that the time to reach Burdwan local in Bally station is 13: 15. What will be the time of Burdwan local in 12hour clock?
We know that the time in railway station is given in 24-hour clock.
So, 13: 15 means it is 1: 15 am in the noon.
Hence, the time of the train in 12-hour clock is 1: 15 am.
Representation of Time in 12-hour and 24-hour clock:
Comparison of 12-hour clock and 24-hour clock: