Tally marks and Data Table
- Data handling is the process of arranging data in the particular form to make it easy to understand.
- One of the easiest arrangements is in the table form.
- Arranging data in the table is known as tabularization.
Let’s us understand how to read data that is represented in the table.
|Child’s Name||White Chocolate||Dark Chocolate|
The above data table represents the number of white chocolate and dark chocolate received by each child.
From the table it is observed that:
- Each child has received 15 chocolates.
- Total number of white chocolates are 10 + 3 + 8 + 5 + 5 = 31
- Total number of dark chocolates are 5 + 12 + 7 + 10 + 10 = 44
- The number of dark chocolates is more than the number of white chocolates.
- Mitali has 10 white chocolates and 5 dark chocolates.
- Zoya has 3 white chocolates and 12 dark chocolates.
- Sidra has 8 white chocolates and 7 dark chocolates.
- Roshan has 5 white chocolates and 10 dark chocolates.
- Owais has 5 white chocolates and 10 dark chocolates.
The data table below shows the number of eggs the hens laid during each month. Observe the table and answer the following questions:
|Months||Number of eggs|
- In which month the maximum number of eggs were hatched?
- In which month least number of eggs were hatched?
- How many eggs were hatched al together?
- How many more eggs were hatched in the month of February than in the month of April?
- How many eggs were hatched in the month of January and May altogether.
- The data table shows that the maximum number of eggs were hatched in the month of February.
- The data table shows that the least number of eggs were hatched in the month of May.
- Add 15, 20, 18, 12 and 10 to get the total number eggs that were hatched.
- Number of eggs hatched in February = 20
- Number of eggs hatched in January = 15
15 + 20 + 18 + 12 + 10 = 75
Therefore, 75 eggs were hatched altogether.
Number of eggs hatched in April = 12
Subtract 12 from 20 to get the difference.
20 – 12 = 8
Therefore, 8 more eggs were hatched in the month of February than in the month of April.
Number of eggs hatched in May = 10
Add 15 and 10 to get the sum.
15 + 10 = 25
Therefore, 25 eggs were hatched altogether in the months of January and May.
- Group of data are arranged in the table using tally marks.
- Tally Marks are used for making the count easy.
- It is represented as the set of five lines.
- The symbol used for tally marks is “|”.
The representation of the tally marks from 1 to 10 is shown in the image below.
Draw a frequency distribution for the above collections of fruits and answer the following question.
- What is the total count of fruits?
- Which fruit is maximum in count?
- Which fruit is least in count?
- How much more oranges are there than the banana?
- Add 9, 8 and 6 to get the sum.
- It is observed from the frequency distribution table that the apple is maximum in count.
- It is observed from the frequency distribution table that the banana is minimum in count.
- It is observed from the frequency distribution table that:
Number of oranges are 8
Number of bananas are 6.
Subtract 6 from 8 to get the difference.
8 – 6 = 2
Therefore, there are 2 more oranges than the bananas.
9 + 8 + 6 = 23
Therefore, the total count of fruits is 23.