Digestive System Function for Class 4 Science
Digestive system plays an important role in our body. Carbohydrates proteins and fats are the main components of food that get digested with the help of digestive juices released by digestive system organs. In this concept, students will be introduced to digestive system functions.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Know the human digestive system parts and functions like:
- Liver function in digestive system.
- Function of gallbladder in digestive system.
- Pancreas function in digestive system.
- Stomach function in digestive system.
- Understand emulsification of fats, carbohydrate digestion, lipid digestion, and protein digestion
- Explain how undigested food in stool is expelled outside anus,
- Know that liver is the largest gland in human body and it plays important role in emulsification of fats.
- Get an idea about absorption of digested food in the body.
Each concept is explained to class 4 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept of Digestive System Function provided in PDF format.
The digestive system of the human body consists of many organs and glands. Each of them has a specific set of functions that aid in the process of digestion.
Digestionis how the food we eat is broken down into simpler forms inside our bodies.The different organs and glands of the digestive system and their roles are described below.
|Organs and Glands||Functions|
Absorption : The process by which any substance is taken in.
Secretion : The process by which any substance is discharged inside our body.
Starchy foods: Foods like bread, pasta, rice, cereals are called starchy foods.
Did You Know?
- Apart from being a vital organ of the digestive system, the liver also helps purify the blood.
- Animals like cows, deer, and giraffes have stomachs with four chambers to digest the plant-based foods they eat.
- The entire process of digestion takes 2-6 hours to complete.