Concept: Healthy Habits Related to Excretion
What is excretion?
- It is the process by which unwanted toxic materials are filtered in the kidney and discharged from the body in the form of urine.
- Excretion is a very complicated physiological process, and one has to follow some healthy habits to keep the excretory system functioning properly.
The different healthy habits one must follow to keep their excretory system in proper condition are discussed below—
1. Drinking plenty of water:
- Drinking water helps in the dilation of our blood vessels, and it provides nourishment to the kidneys.
- Water keeps our bladder hydrated and healthy.
- So, one should have at least 8-10 glasses of water every day.
2. Limited intake of coffee:
- One should be very conscious about the amount of coffee one should consume daily.
- Frequent intake of coffee causes frequent urination that may cause stress to the urinary bladder.
3. Avoiding processed food and sugar-rich foods:
- Processed foods and sugar-rich foods have high amounts of sodium, potassium, and added sugar. These are not good for our health.
- So, we must try to avoid consuming such food products on a regular basis as they may lead to kidney diseases.
4. Exercise regularly:
- Exercising keeps our body fit and has a positive influence on the excretory system.
- Sweat is produced when we exercise, which helps in the removal of excess water and salts from the body.
5. Quit smoking:
- Smoking causes a lot of damage to our health, including the excretory system.
- It causes many kidney-related diseases like kidney stones and kidney cancer.
- Smoking also causes irritation in the urinary bladder.
- So, one has to quit the habit of smoking altogether.
6. Using the bathroom when needed:
- We should urinate every 3-4 hours.
- Holding urine in the bladder for too long can cause infections.
7. Urinate properly to empty the bladder:
- Do not rush while urinating, and pass the urine properly.
- If urine stays in the bladder, it may cause infections and weaken the urinary bladder wall.
8. Wear loose-fitting clothes:
- Wearing loose and cotton clothes allows air to keep the area around the urethra dry.
- Tight-fitting clothes can trap moisture around the urethra, which causes infections.
9. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables:
- Adding fresh fruits and vegetables to our regular diet can help curb infections and diseases related to our excretory system.
- Watermelon, asparagus, eggplant, and berries help in the purification of the kidney.
- Intake of fruits also facilitates the production of urine.
10. Maintain proper body weight:
- Maintaining proper body weight is essential for keeping our kidneys healthy.
- Being overweight causes our kidneys to work harder to filter toxic materials above the usual level, thereby increasing the risk of renal diseases.
11. Keep the private parts clean:
- We have to clean our private parts daily and keep them dry after using the toilet.
- Not maintaining proper hygiene can lead to urinary tract infections and other microbial infections.
Dilation: Becoming wider, larger, or more open.
Processed food: Foods that have undergone changes like freezing, baking, canning, dehydration, etc., during their preparation are called processed food. Examples: Bread, canned fruits, candies, sauces, jams, etc.
Renal diseases: Diseases associated with the kidneys are called renal diseases, like, chronic kidney disease, kidney stones, etc.
Did You Know?
- Kidney diseases can make our bones weak and brittle. It happens because kidneys play a vital role in activating Vitamin D, essential for strong bones.
- Most people are born with two kidneys. However, one can lead a normal and healthy life with just one kidney.