Different Types of Works
Community Helpers and Their Importance for Class 5 EVS
From this concept, the students will get an idea about different types of community helpers and how they ensure a
smooth life for us in society.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Know about who are community helpers from a community helpers list.
- Explain who is a doctor and why they are important to us.
- Understand the role of a nurse is to take care of the patients.
- State the role of teachers and why they are called nation builders.
- Understand who is a chef and what does a chef do.
- Explain that crop harvesting is done by the farmers.
- Recall that a person who repairs taps and pipes is called a plumber.
Each concept is explained to class 5 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept of the Community Helpers and Their Importance provided in PDF format.
Who Are Community Helpers?
Community helpers make life better for the people in the community, keep the community healthy and safe, and help it function more efficiently.
Examples: Doctors, firefighters, police, plumbers, masons, etc.
Different Community Helpers Around Us:
- Doctors are trained medical professionals who have the licence to treat patients.
- They diagnose the disease and provide medicines to the patients.
- They treat people in hospitals and private clinics.
- The role of a nurse is to assist doctors.
- Nurses work at hospitals and healthcare facilities.
- They take care of the patients, communicate with doctors, give medicine, and check vital signs from time to time.
- They are an essential part of the healthcare workforce.
- Firefighters or firemen work at fire stations.
- Their main job is to put out fires and rescue people from the affected zone.
- They use fire trucks to reach the site of the incident.
- Fire trucks carry equipment like water tanks, hose pipes, ladders, ropes, and first aid.
- Teachers are also called the ‘nation builders’.
- Teachers teach various subjects at schools, colleges, and multiple institutions.
- The teacher must explain the subjects properly to the students by using various teaching methods and techniques.
- Apart from providing subjective knowledge, they also help in a child's overall growth and development.
5. Police Officer:
- The key responsibility of the police is to protect law and order of a particular locality.
- They prevent crimes by catching the offenders and ensuring people are safe.
- They also respond to any emergencies and provide appropriate support services.
- Fishermen catch fish to support their living.
- They sell their catch to the fish sellers to earn money.
- They use boats, fishing nets, and other equipment to catch fish in rivers, lakes, oceans, and seas.
- Farmers raise plants and livestock.
- They sow seeds, water them, apply fertilisers, and harvest them.
- They operate the farming equipment and take care of them.
- They operate the farming equipment and take care of them.
- They sell food grains and other agricultural and animal products to customers, stores, or other farmers.
8. Mail carrier:
- Mail carriers deliver letters, documents, and parcels to different places.
- They travel via planned routes.
- They collect outgoing mail and sometimes money for postage due.
- They sort the mails as per their delivery dates.
- The main job of a gardener is to look after different plants of a garden.
- They water the plants, apply fertilisers and pesticides, and monitor their growth and development.
- They clean weeds, collect and dispose of litter and keep the garden clean.
- They mow lawns and maintain flower beds by trimming the shrubs and bushes.
- A mechanic can repair different parts of vehicles, machines, and trucks.
- They inspect how machines and engines operate and fix problems.
- They carry various equipment and machinery used for the repair work.
- Chefs cook food in hotels, restaurants, and community kitchens.
- They also make delicious food for occasions like marriages, birthday parties, get-togethers, etc.
- They learn about different cooking techniques, create new recipes, arrange food menus and prepare mouth-watering dishes for us.
- Waiters work at hotels and restaurants.
- They welcome guests, show food menus and explain different courses of dishes like appetisers, main courses, desserts, and drinks.
- They take orders from the guests and convey them to the kitchen.
- They also help guests by serving food and drinks on the table and taking feedback about the service.
- Waiters clear the tables by removing the plates, glasses, and spoons once the customers finish their food.
13. Garbage collector:
- They collect garbage bags from the trash bins of a locality and put them in the dumping zone.
- After collecting the garbage, they segregate the bio-degradable and non-biodegradable wastes separately.
- They send all bio-degradable waste for recycling and dump the rest of the trash at the dumping zone.
- A janitor acts as the caretaker of a building.
- The responsibilities of a janitor are to clean the building and maintain it in good condition.
- They scrub and mop floors and collect trash from the bins.
- They clean restrooms, windows, doors, lobbies, and staircases of a building.
- A janitor ensures that the building doors are locked after regular hours.
- Electricians install electronic equipment and fix electrical problems.
- They test and maintain wiring and lights at homes and buildings.
- Electricians also work at the construction sites along with architects to plan the electric wiring of the entire building.
- They carry kits with various equipment for doing the repair work.
- A plumber looks after the plumbing installation of a building.
- They also do all the repair works.
- Plumbers install different plumbing fixtures like faucets, taps, showerheads, bathtubs, pipes, and tubes.
- Masons work at construction sites.
- They construct houses and buildings using bricks, concrete blocks, and stones.
- They use sand, cement, and water as binding agents.
- They build walls, roofs, and floors using concrete blocks and bricks.
18. House help:
- House helps clean and mop the house, dust the furniture and wash the utensils.
- They also cook food, wash our clothes and go to the market to buy groceries.
Licence: A permit from an authority to do something.
Postage: It is the price of sending a parcel or a letter to someone.
Fertilisers: Chemicals that are added to the soil to boost the growth and development of plants.
Livestock: Farm animals like cows, sheep, goats, buffaloes, etc.
Appetiser: A small plate of food eaten before the main course of a meal to increase one's hunger.
Did You Know?
- During the COVID-19 crisis, all community helpers, especially doctors, nurses, hospital staff, and ambulance drivers, worked extremely hard to take care of people suffering from this disease.
- The military is also a community helper because they are sent to regions affected by natural disasters like floods, earthquakes, cyclones, etc., to rescue people, take them to safe shelters, and provide food and other necessities.