Pronoun-Verb Contraction Words for Class 5 English
This concept will help the students learn about the use of contraction words. They will also study pronoun-verb contractions words in English with examples and pictures. There is also a list of pronoun-verb contractions for better understanding.
In this concept, students will learn:
- To write the full form of pronoun-verb contractions
- To complete a chart by adding contractions
Every concept is taught to class 5 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable pronoun-verb contraction worksheets at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept contractions provided in PDF format.
- Contractions are words that have been shortened by reducing one or more letters. A contraction is made with two long words that are combined to make one shorter word.
- Contractions include a special mark called an apostrophe (’). The apostrophe (’) shows where one or more letters have been taken out.
The words ‘I’ and ‘am’ are made into a contraction by omitting the letter ‘a’ and replacing it with an apostrophe (’). “ I’m” has become a contraction.
What is a Pronoun-Verb Contraction?
A contraction can combine a pronoun and a verb together. It is called a pronoun-verb contraction.
|Original Long Form||Contracted Short Form|
|It is/It has||It's|
|She is / She has||She's|
|He is / He has||He's|
Let’s look at a few sentences where we will use pronoun-verb contractions.
We combined the pronoun ‘she’ and the verb ‘is’ to form the contraction, “she’s”. We omit the letter ‘i’ and add an apostrophe (’) in its place.
The word ‘they’ is a pronoun, and ‘have’ is a verb. We have shortened the words ‘they have’ by dropping two letters ‘h’ and ‘a’ and added an apostrophe (’) to show the letters removed from the word.
When to Use Contraction?
- A contraction is an informal way used in our everyday speech. Instead of saying “He will come to my house”, we shorten it to “He’ll come to my house”.
- These shortcuts can be used in informal writing when we want our writing to be more casual and less formal.
Don’t mistake between your and you’re.Your is not a contraction, whereas you’re is a contraction.
- ‘Your’ is used to show possession. It comes after a noun owned by you.
- The word You’re is a contraction of the pronoun ‘you’ and the verb ‘are’.,
1. Your handwriting is beautiful.
2. Your mother is cooking for us today.
1. You’re a great magician.
2. You’re a very good student.