Sequence the Passage for Class 5 English
Students will study how to sequence a passage. It will help them to understand which part of the story is the beginning, middle, and conclusion. They will also learn how to write a story with the help of sequencing.
In this learning concept, the students will learn:
- To identify the introduction, beginning, and conclusion of a passage.
- To arrange a passage in the correct sequence.
Every concept is taught to class 5 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable sequencing worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept sequence the passage provided in PDF format.
- The process of identifying, connecting, and arranging the parts of a story in a logical sequence is called sequencing the passage.
- Every story has a beginning, middle, and conclusion.
|This part is the starting point of the story.||This is the middle part of the story. It talks about the main characters and the events that took place in the story.||This is the end part of the story. It talks about what happens in the end.|
Let us study the diagram and try to understand the points below:
The Life Cycle of a Butterfly
- First, the eggs are laid by female butterflies on plants. These eggs hatch into caterpillars who feed on the mulberry leaves.
- This stage where the caterpillar eats a lot is called larva.
- After the caterpillar has full grown, it stops eating and grows into a pupa in most cases which is surrounded by a cocoon of silk.
- The butterfly looks totally different from the pupa. As they grow into an adult they develop long legs, compound eyes, and wings.
The above example explains the life cycle of a butterfly. The entire event is arranged in a proper and logical sequence.
How does Sequencing help?
- In recalling the different events of a story in the right order.
- In maintaining a link between the different parts of the story and systematically organizing them.
- In figuring out the beginning, the middle, and the end of the story based on the incidents.
- It is essential to understand the art of sequencing to construct or reconstruct a meaningful story.
- Arranging the events in one particular order only can help the story to unfold its content in the most appropriate way.
How to write a story with the help of sequencing?
What happened in the beginning?
Neha woke up in the morning. She got up from the bed and went to the bathroom.
What is the middle part of the story?
She brushed her teeth and took a bath. Neha looked at the clock and realised that its time for her to get ready for school. She quickly ate her breakfast and packed her tiffin. She wore her uniform and combed her hair.
What happened in the last?
She waited in front of the house for the school bus. As soon as the bus came, she left for school.
Read the passage carefully. Don’t be in a hurry or you might get confused with the stages. The middle part of passage could be in divided into several parts so identify the correct order of passage.