Calendar and Timeline
Days of the Weeks
- There are seven days in a week.
- Given below are the names of the days in a week.
- There are 12 months in a year.
- Each month has either 28, 29, 30, or 31 days.
- Each month has either 4 or 5 weeks.
Given below are the names of the month in a year along with the number of
- There are 365 days or 366 days in a year.
- January and December are the first and the last month of the year.
- February is the shortest month of the year.
- A calendar is a chart of pages that represents the days, weeks, and months of a specific year.
- With the help of the calendar, we can keep the track of the events such as exam, vacations, festivals, etc.
- Given below is the calendar for the year 2022.
- To maintain the calendar in alignment with the earth’s revolution around the sun a leap day is required.
- A leap day is a day added to the shortest month, i.e., February in the leap year.
- In an ordinary year, February has 28 days but in a leap year, February has 29 days.
- Therefore, in a leap year there are 366 days that occur every fourth year.
Method to check if the year is a leap year or not a leap year:
To check if the year is the leap year, divide the year by 4. If it is completely divisible by 4 then the year is the leap year.
- For example, 2024 when divided by 4 leaves no remainder. Therefore, 2024 was a leap year.
- For example, 2000 when divided by 400 leaves no remainder. Therefore, 2000 was a leap year.
Exception:To check if the century year is a leap year, divide the year by 400. If it is divisible by 400 then the year is a leap year.
The calendar helps us to keep a record of the time of the events in the form of dates.
Look below the format of the dates.
- DD: It represents the days of the month. It can vary from 01 to 31.
- MM: It represents the months of the year. It can vary from 01 to 12.
- YY: It represents the last two digits of the year.
For example, The 28 March 2022 can be written as 03/ 28/ 22 or 03/28/2022.
- An ordinal number is defined as the number which describes the position in the series.
- For example, 1 is written as “first” or 1st; 2 is written as second or 2nd, and so on.
- We use the ordinal number to write a date.
- For example, 25/12/20 is written as 25th of December 2020.
- The list of ordinal numbers from days 1 to 31 is shown below:
Did you know?
The sum of the number of days in 5 consecutive months (excluding February)
is always equal to 153.
Sum = 31 + 30 + 31 + 31 + 30 = 153.