Mental Math Division for Class 5 Math
Mental math is a set of capabilities that helps students’ mental growth. Here students learn about mental math
In this learning concept, the students will also learn to
- Classify the division shortcuts tricks.
- Evaluate by easy division tricks.
- Identify the maths division tricks, for example, divisible by 9 tricks.
Each concept is explained to class 5 maths students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. Students can assess their learning by solving the two printable mental math division worksheets given at the page’s end.
Download the mental math worksheet for class 5 and check the solutions to the mental math questions for class 5 provided in PDF format.
What Is Mental Math?
Menatl Math refers to a group of skills that allows students to do arithmetical calculations in their head without the use of calculators or other resources.
It helps the students to understand the basic and higher-level math concepts in a better way.
We can use the mental math in division, numbesr can be easily divided mentally using some tricks.
Advantages of Mental Math:
- It helps students to understand the basic and higher-level math concepts in a better way.
- It helps students solve higher-level problems at a better speed.
- It has a lot of practical applications.
- It stimulates the brain and makes it sharper. It makes a student good with imagination, visualization, and creativity.
For division, we use four terms that are divisor, dividend, quotient and remainder.
If we divide 135 by 5, then we get 27 as quotient and 0 as reminder.
Divisor Tricks for Smaller and Closer to the Power of 10:
Step1: Identify how much short the divisor is to the power of 10.
Step2: Split the dividend into two parts – Quotient and Remainder. The number of digits considered as the remainder is the same as the number of digits in the divisor.
Step3:Multiply the first digit of the quotient with the number obtained from step 1. Add this to the tens digit of the quotient part (from step 2). Continue the same process for the digit at unit place for the remainder.
Step4:Multiply the number obtained from the step 3 with the number from step 1. Add this number to the Remainder part (from step 2).
Step5:Now, we check if the remainder is greater than or equal to the divisor. If yes, divide it
again and add the new quotient part to the quotient (from step 2). The remainder obtained now is the final
Here, it is explained with an example.
Example 1: Divide 2341 by 9
Step1: 9 is 1 short of 10.
Step2: Split 2341 as 234(quotient) and 1 (remainder)
Step4:But here the remainder 10 is greater than 9
So, we subtract 9 from 10 and add the value with the quotient.
So, the quotient is 260 and remainder is 1.
Division Shortcuts Tricks by 10, 100, 1000 …:
While dividing any number with 10, 100, 1000, …, we can do it in two ways.
- If the number has zero or zeros in its right end, then we can cancel out the common zeros from the divisor and the dividend both.
- If the number has no zero or zeros in the right end, then we have to decimal point on the dividend. We have to move the decimal point starting from the right to the left as many places as there are zeros in the divisor.
÷ 10 (ii) 56000
÷ 1000 (iii) 97000
If we divide 345635 by 10000, then we find the remainder and quotient.
Here, we can write 345635 as 345635.00
So, the quotient is 34 and remainder is 5635.
Easy Division Trick for Numbers 25 and 125 in Place of Divisor:
- To divide a number by 25, we turn the number 25 in 100, then divide the number.
- To divide a number by 125, we turn the number 125 in 1000, then divide.
Here, it is explained with some examples.
Answer:Here we can write 3466
Now to make 25 as 100, we have to multiply the number by 4
Thus, we get, 3466
Answer:Here we can write 23565
Now to make 125 as 1000, we need to multiply the number by 8.
Math Division Tricks by Using the Factor Method:
If both the dividend and divisor are large numbers, then we can express the numbers (dividend and divisor) as the product of their factors and then perform the division by cancelling out the common factors.
Example: Divide 2040 by 24.Here we can write 2040
So, the final answer is 85.
Divisible by 9 Tricks
If the sum of digits of a number is divisible by 9, then the number itself is divisible by 9.
Let us check if the number 49689 is divisible by 9 or not.
We 1st take the sum of the digits of the given number
4 + 9 + 6 + 8 + 9 = 36
36 is divisible by 9, so the given number is divisible by 9.