Patterns and Symmetry
Math Patterns for Class 5
Math pattern shows us a sequence that can be present in numbers, shapes, colours, etc. here, students will learn about patterns.
In this learning concept, the students will learn to
- Classify the types of patterns.
- Identify the repeating pattern, growing pattern, and shrinking pattern.
Each concept is explained to class 5 maths students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. Students can assess their learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the page’s end.
Download the math patterns worksheet for class 5 and check the solutions for the math patterns questions provided in PDF format.
What Is Pattern?
- Patterns are defined as groups of numbers, letters, or shapes that are arranged in a repeated manner or sequence.
- In our daily life different patterns can be observed with respect to colors, shapes, numbers, etc.
- The figure below shows some of the patterns that are found in nature.
- Patterns can be finite or infinite.
Example 1: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, ………
This is the pattern of the even
numbers and is infinite.
Example 2: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15.
This is the pattern of the first five
multiples of 3 and is finite.
Types of Patterns
There are mainly three types of patterns namely:
- Repeating patterns
- Growing patterns
- Shrinking patterns
Repeating Patterns: A pattern that repeats itself at a regular interval of time is called a repeating pattern.
Growing Patterns: A pattern is said to be a growing pattern if the elements are arranged in increasing order.
In this numbers are arranged by adding or multiplying.
Shrinking patterns: A pattern is said to be a shrinking pattern if the elements are arranged in decreasing order.
In this numbers are arranged by subtracting or dividing.
Did you know?