In our surroundings, we see (%) this symbol many times.
- What does this % symbol represent?
- What is the Percentage?
- We have learned Fractions. A fraction with a denominator 100 is called a Percentage.
- Percentage is represented by the symbol %.
- The word ‘Percent’ has the meaning:
- In the above figure, out of 100 boxes there are 34 boxes are coloured.
We can represent coloured part by the fraction as
- We can also say that 34% part of the figure is coloured.
- So, 34% means 34 per 100.
- How to find a given percentage of any object?
- Divide that object into 100 equals parts.
- Out of these 100 parts, we can easily get the given percentage amount.
- Percent can express in-
%- Symbol represents a percentage.
This implies that,
We read 34% as ‘34 percent’. This means the symbol % is read as percent.
Example: Colour 25% part of the square.
We can show 25% coloured part of the square as below:
There are total 100 boxes out of which 25 boxes are coloured.
20 percent written as → 20%(In the form of Percent)
- 20% means ‘20 per hundred’. So, 20 out of 100 written as:
20%=20 /→ (In the form of Fraction)
- If we convert the above fraction into a decimal, we get:
- Percent always represents the denominator as 100.
- While converting a given percentage into decimal, we have to put a decimal point after two digits from the right.
- Percent to fraction
- Divide the percent by 100.
- Percent to decimal
- Convert percent to fraction and then decimal
- Fraction/decimal to percent
- Multiply fraction/decimal by 100
Write 44% in the form of fraction.
Write 74% in the form of decimal.
It is difficult to divide a circle into 100 parts.
So, we can find equivalent fraction of
The 100% part of the circle can be represented as:
(Divide both numerator and denominator by HCF of 50 and 100 = 50)
The 50% part of the circle can be represented as:
(Divide both numerator and denominator by HCF of 25 and 100 = 25)
The 25% part of the circle can be represented as:
- Represent the given percent into the fraction.
- Multiply that fraction and the given number.
Find the 10% of 80.
Step 1:Convert 6% into a fraction.10% =
Step 2: Multiply the fraction by 80.
= 2 × 4
So, 8 is the 10% of 80.
- Percentage is the final answer or quantity we get when we determine the percent of any number.
If we find out 10% of 60, we get
Here, 10 percent of the 60 is 6; 6 is the percentage.
If Sanju got 170 marks out of 200, he gets
Here, 85 is the percentage that Sanju has got.
Did you know?