Eight Amazing Facts About the Commonwealth Games!
- Updated on 05 Aug 2022
- Child Learning
- Mautushi Paul
- 3 mins read
We know most of you would be aware of the Commonwealth Games currently underway in Birmingham. It is one of the most popular sporting events in the world, with athletes from all over the Commonwealth vying for glory.
But have you ever stopped to think about the history of the Commonwealth Games or some of the quirky facts surrounding them? From its history to its player, In this blog, we will look at some of the fantastic facts about the Commonwealth Games that you may not have known.
What are Commonwealth Games?
The Commonwealth Games 2022 are held every four years. With the most recent one having taken place on the Gold Coast of Australia in 2018. Athletics, aquatics, boxing, cycling, gymnastics, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, rugby sevens, shooting and weightlifting are the core sports contested at the Games.
Are they similar to the Olympics?
The Commonwealth Games are often compared to the Olympics, but some key differences exist. Commonwealth Games are open to athletes from any country. That is a member of the Commonwealth, while the Olympics are open to athletes from all countries. The Commonwealth Games also have a different selection of sports than the Olympics.
How Do We Make These Games for Kids Interesting?
Assuming your child is interested in sports, one way to make the Commonwealth Games 2022 for kids enjoyable is to look up which athletes from their country are competing. You can follow the results of these athletes throughout the Games. Another way to make the Games for kids engaging is to pick a few events they are unfamiliar with and learn about them together. This can be a fun way to learn about new sports.
Eight little-known fun facts about Commonwealth Games!
- The first Commonwealth Games were held in Hamilton, Canada, in 1930.
- Australia has won the most gold medals of any country, with England coming in a close second.
- The oldest competitor in Commonwealth Games history was a Lawn Bowls player from Scotland who was 80 years old when he competed in the 2006 Games in Melbourne, Australia.
- The youngest competitor in Commonwealth Games history was a 12-year-old swimmer from Fiji who competed in the 1998 Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- In the 1990 Games in Auckland, New Zealand, an athlete from the tiny island nation of Nauru won gold in the Men’s Heavyweight Weightlifting event – the first and only gold medal that Nauru has ever won at the Commonwealth Games.
- Australia has hosted the Commonwealth Games more often than any other country, with four Games: Brisbane in 1982, Melbourne in 2006, Sydney in 2000 and Gold Coast in 2018.
- The 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, were the largest ever, with 4,500 athletes competing across 275 events in 19 different sports.
- The 2022 Commonwealth Games is held in Birmingham, England – the first time the city has hosted the event.
Can your child someday play in the Commonwealth Games?
Yes, your child can play in the Commonwealth Games. If you have a child who is good at sports and is willing to train hard, they have a chance of playing in the Commonwealth Games 2022. The Games are held every four years and rotate between different cities. So if your child is born in a country that is part of the Commonwealth, they are eligible to compete.
India is included in the Commonwealth, so if your child is Indian, they can compete in the Games.
All you need to do is train your child to be the best they can be from a very young age. They will be selected to compete in the Games if they are good enough.
So if you have a dream for your child to play in the Commonwealth Games 2022, start working towards it from now! Who knows, you might just see them representing India one day.
The Commonwealth Games for kids are an excellent opportunity to learn about other cultures and see some of the best athletes in the world compete.
If you’re looking for ways to keep your little ones entertained while the games are on, check out these facts they may not know about the Commonwealth Games 2022. And don’t forget to tune in! The games are sure to be exciting. How do you think your country will fare this year?
Why Parents Should be a Part of their Kids’ Online Classes?
What Is the Difference Between CBSE and ICSE Board?